Latest News ...
- Are you ready to play? Taking applications for the Grady Games: the 2013 Georgia Journalism Academy.
- New to journalism advising? A veteran who would like a refresher? Attend the GSPA Adviser's Workshop, held June 4-5 at The University of Georgia. Registration deadline is May 24.
- Get a jump start on next year. Join GSPA now for the 2013-14 academic year by submitting the membership form.
- We're now taking literary magazine and yearbook General Excellence entries. Fill out the entry form and submit to by the June 28 deadline.
- Mark your calendars! The 2013 GSPA Fall Conference will be held Oct. 2-3 at the University of Georgia.
- The GSPA General Excellence Awards were announced Thursday, April 25 at the GSPA Awards Ceremony in Athens. Click here to read the official UGA press release about the awards. Click below to view the winners:
The Georgia Scholastic Press Association assists Georgia high school media programs and students by encouraging their production of quality publications and broadcast programs through instruction and contests.
GSPA was organized in 1928 by the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication at The University of Georgia, which has continued to direct its activities, providing information through the newsletter and instruction through convention sessions, critiques, speakers upon request and fall workshop sessions. Individual student-produced publications or broadcast programs join GSPA at the beginning of the school year.
Members receive The Bulletin, a newsletter circulated five times a year to its members with information and resources for publication advisers and students. GSPA sponsors an annual contest in which media professionals critique newspapers, yearbooks, literary magazines, and radio and television programs from schools across the state. A fall conference is held each year that features a keynote speaker, workshop sessions and contests. Awards are distributed at the a spring awards ceremony, held annually at the University of Georgia. In addition to the spring and fall conventions.
The GSPA director also coordinates the Georgia Journalism Academy, a weeklong residential learning academy held each year at the University of Georgia for high school journalists.
Membership is open to school-sponsored newspaper, yearbook, literary magazine, television/radio and online media staffs in schools across Georgia. Annual membership dues are $50 per staff and include membership for one adviser. Individual students participate in GSPA activities through their staff’s membership.